1. What is your name & what do you do? My name is Jenn and I am a facilitator of the arts…I help people find inspiration and make connections. I am a cheerleader for the creatives.
2. What did you want to be when you grew up? I wanted to be so many things…I wanted to be a Playboy Bunny, (like the kind that has the tail and gets to wear bunny ears), a silent movie actress, a talk show host, a philanthropist and to have my own ‘Factory”, (like the one that Andy Warhol had).
3. Tell me your story. It is way too long..Which part?
4. Why Asbury Park? I used to visit Asbury Park for inspiration..Its music scene, its architecture…Its beautiful decay..Its potential..I got the “disease” and moved here 13 years ago to leave my mark on the city and to do my best to create something different here.
5. How did you arrive in Asbury Park? I came to visit a friend and see some music..I spent many days coming back to visit its buildings and the beach. I then moved here to help create Asbury Lanes with a group of friends.
6. What is the quality you like most about Asbury Park? There are so many things that I love about Asbury Park. I love all the people from the past that have given their energies to ensure that I can do what I do here today. I love the buildings. I love the history. I love the “underdog” spirit that runs through the city. I love the creative energies that live here. I love the potential..I love our characters..I love our community…I love our story.
7. How would you describe the Asbury Park Boardwalk? For me, it is a breath of fresh air. It is my “get-away”, it is where we all come together to feel good and for me, it helps me find inspiration, thinking of all the people that have walked those boards and the sand is so amazing to me.
8. How has Asbury Park changed since you arrived? It is so fundamentally different. There is no place to park, there are people-everywhere, there are houses that have been totally redone, there are no apartments, there is noise, there are kids that walk around my themselves. There is life..with all the messiness that comes with it. There is energy everywhere.
9. Name the first band you saw in Asbury Park and where? The first act I saw in Asbury Park was the reggae performer, Yellowman and it was at Harry’s Roadhouse, which was at the space where Taka is right now or was it the hardcore band, Murphy’s Law at Old Fellows Lounge, that was right next to the Roadhouse.
10. Describe the current scene of Asbury Park? I believe that Asbury Park often goes through identity crises..I think that we are in a development phase currently..It feels off balance to me..Many consumers and not enough creators..But I have to believe that there must be creators and creatives planning and creating while we speak…You need them all, creators, developers and consumers and you also need a balance. All good things that will need to come together to ensure true success.
11. What do you value most about the community of Asbury Park? I can’t explain how amazing our community is here. People take care of each other and when things get tough, there are many that will help you right back up. We all rise and fall together..And that is priceless in this world.
12. What do you love about the architecture of Asbury Park? I love the buildings here..They are true inspiration for me, whether it means sitting quietly in the Paramount, or running around the halls of Convention Hall…or taking so many pictures of the imagery and architecture of the historic building so the waterfront and downtown. It never ever gets old to me. They are part of the community and are characters in the story of Asbury Park.
13. What do you love about the sand and sea? The sand and the sea is sanctuary to me. The feeling of the sand between my toes. The sound and smells of the ocean..It is a constant source of happiness for me..That is one of the reasons I feel in love with Asbury Park in the first place.
14. What do you do to give back? I try to give back in any way I can..Through my ongoing efforts ensuring the arts have a home in Asbury Park long after we are all gone. I want to leave this place better than I found it.
15. What do you consider your greatest achievement? I haven’t had it yet..
16. What are the words that you live by? Follow your Bliss.